Is your company considering a migration to Amazon Web Services (AWS)?
Having assisted clients with migrations of their Data Centers to AWS Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), I’ve identified some critical areas that should be considered in order to increase the probability of success and to take advantage of the flexibility and potential cost savings inherent with the Cloud:
- Keep a Hybrid Cloud connection to provide more location and licensing options while data compliance decisions are still in flux and licensing may already be procured and expensed for existing on-premise servers, it makes sense to hold off on total migration.
- Combine Cloud services from multiple providers cloud providers often have different pricing models for equivalent services even offering free-tier services and developer credited resources.
- Check the SLA for Cloud providers do your homework and make sure all disaster situations are accounted for and the continuity of your business is not jeopardized.
- Backup your Cloud services not only backing up instances and databases within the same Cloud provider but also consider the equivalent of traditional off-site backup such as Cloud-to-Cloud backup services.
- Assess all costs (initial and ongoing) with your provider(s) and do this assessment before starting migration of services and before signing any binding agreements.
- Restrict access to the Cloud account(s) in order to contain costs easy to run up a large bill with Cloud services since instances and data services can be brought online in a matter of minutes. Unless your Cloud provider account is secured so that only key personnel have admin access, you will likely only know the impact at the end of the month.
The rewards for putting in a lot of thought and planning when it comes to implementing Cloud services include:
- Substantial Cost reductions
- Reallocation of staff resources to focus on customer service and sales.
- Strongly improved Return on Investment
About the Author: Steven Reece, PhD is an AWS Solutions Architect at Lucrodyne and has over 20 years experience in Small and Medium Enterprises in Canada, US and the UK.
Need advice on AWS Cloud?
- Whiteboard Sessions for organizations across Ontario, Canada.
- AWS Cloud Solutions for SMB and Public Sector.
- Technical and Management Lead for Lucrodyne’s Consultancy Projects.
- Customization and Integration of Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Hybrid Architecture
- Database Migrations to AWS Cloud
- Datacentre / Colocation Migrations to AWS
- AWS Disaster Recovery Planning and Executive Strategy Sessions
- AWS Architecture and Design.
Please contact me at:
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 1-905-882-0701 x 221